27 Jan Back to School
Back to School: 5 tips for choosing the right school shoe
Not long until the kids go back to school – thank god you say? Here are some tips to help you choose the right school shoe for your child:
5 Back to school tips:
- If your child is allowed to wear a runner then this is always the best option
- Get your children’s feet professionally fitted. My store of choice is The Athlete’s Foot. They have trained their staff to correctly fit shoes and genuinely have an interest in your children’s feet.
- Allow for some growing room but no more than a thumbs width from their toe to the end of the shoe. Shoes that are too big can cause blistering around the heel which is more trouble than it’s worth.
- If your child has orthotics then make sure they are with them when they are fitted for their school shoes.
- Don’t forget to check the width of the shoe. A lot of brands now have specific width measurements. Roll your thumb on top of the shoe from the inside of the big toe to the little toe – there should be some movement of the leather but no excessive buckling.
NB: this post is not paid or supported in any way by the above companies. I believe in unbiased, honest recommendations.
If you find your child frequently tripping, unevenly wearing their shoes or complaining of pain then have a chat with me. There’s often very simple strategies that can be implemented which can make all the difference.
Podiatrist and Founder of The Foot Studio
Want to win FREE Podiatry for you and your family?
Facebook and Instagram Competition T&C
To enter you must be a resident of Perth or Northam. Free Podiatry equates to one free Podiatry treatment per person. A maximum of 6 family members. The Podiatry appointment consists of a bio-mechanical assessment and a skin and nail check. Consumables such as padding and orthotics are NOT included – if these are needed a charge may be issued after first discussing this with all parties involved. The Foot Studio will have the overall final say in any decisions. The winner prize includes one appointment per person. This can not be transferred to any other family or people. This is not redeemable for cash.